Fenix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fenix Minecraft Server Forum

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Deleting Unused parts of the World Map

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Owl_Talon
Admin
Owl_Talon

Deleting Unused parts of the World Map Empty
PostSubject: Deleting Unused parts of the World Map   Deleting Unused parts of the World Map I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 7:14 pm

The world map for the Fenix server is now very big – large enough so that it creates noticeable lag when the server saves the map.  In looking at the map we realized that about a third of the map is there only because someone loaded it while exploring, and it is serving no purpose for anyone.

Therefore, in a few days we plan on backing up the map, and erasing the chunks from the map that have not been loaded for the past two months.  If you have any bases, or other areas that you want to remain as they are that have not been visited in the past two months you need to visit them.  If you do not, you may lose everything you have there.

Chunks that have been deleted will be regenerated when someone returns to that area.  So any area that is deleted will be returned to its original state if revisited.  If someone has bought land in a region that is deleted, that land will still be theirs, and it will still be protected, however it will be returned to its original state.

Deleting chunks that have not been loaded for the past two months will help the server greatly by reducing the map size significantly, and getting rid of chunks being maintained that were generated by people taking long treks into the wilderness to find their new base.  Note: The only chunks that will be deleted are those that have not been visited, or used in any way for the past two months, so if you have used an area within the past two months, it will remain as it is.

Thank you for your understanding, and your help in keeping server lag at a minimum.

Sincerely,

Owl_Talon
Back to top Go down
King_Jul

King_Jul

PostSubject: Re: Deleting Unused parts of the World Map   Deleting Unused parts of the World Map I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 7:37 pm

I'm just wondering, is this a plugin that allows you to view the last time a chunk was active?

This really don't matter, I was just curious  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Owl_Talon
Admin
Owl_Talon

PostSubject: Re: Deleting Unused parts of the World Map   Deleting Unused parts of the World Map I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 1:28 am

No, Minecraft itself dates when last accessed, and we will be deleting them manually according to those dates.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deleting Unused parts of the World Map   Deleting Unused parts of the World Map I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deleting Unused parts of the World Map
Page 1 of 1